Friday 6 May 2011

On And On

The story never ends here's another post of mine with a somewhat short summary of my personal experience. Especially dealing with healthcare and fundamental knowledge that adoptees often lack.

It might be folish but I'm hoping to visit Korea this year or possibly the next year and if all else fails then I should hope for 2013. In two years time. That's a really long time which is why I fear that the longer I put it on hold the more likely it is that my second trip to the land of the morning calm never may materialize...

I few days ago I spent approximately three hours trying to type a letter in hangul, consisting of 8 short sentences. I managed to write complete sentences yet I fear that the grammar mistakes are many and also that you might not understand what I tried to write. The languge barrier seems to disappear and re-appear when you least expect it.

My knowledge in Korean so far is not at the level I would like it to be at and honestly I know I should have built up a higher knowledge in it by now but not speaking in Korean a daily basis means I only remember it once I'm in class and seriously struggle the rest of the time. But hopefully I'll be able to use my Korean knowledge in a better way once I do decide to visit again.

I could decide not to put myself through this daily experience but I endure it all since I finally know where I come from, still trying to figure out who I am. Adoptees losses many things like the ones I mentioned yet what we get in return are the unaviodable sense of quite a many things. Language barriers, cultural clashes and almost daily misunderstandings. I could easilly write more about this topic but I'll stop there this time.

© Taste of Kimchi, Elle

Related posts: 

Omma

한글

Challenge

감사합니다

Citizenship

Korean Language

언니

Language Struggle

No comments:

Post a Comment