Friday 21 January 2011

Dual Citizenship Disadvantages Vs. Advantages

What would happen or change if I was to apply for dual Korean citizenship ?

Honestly it doesn't really seem to presently be benefitial to me as I currently have no plans of living in Korea permanently. But I could be wrong, being a Korean adoptee or KAD does seem to offer more benefits than what a dual citizenship would do.

Maybe I'll apply for it some day but as of right now I see no reason why I should. For one thing I'll have to reside in Korea to be applicable to fill in the application forms and I'm still in Sweden.

I'm still considering applying for it but Im not sure when for one, and also if there will be more disadvantages compared to benefits. There might be things I used to take for granted that I'm likely to have to give up....

I suppose my feelings in this matter best could be explained by a beautiful rose bush; I long to pick the roses but I dread its thorns.. The smell from the roses is something extra special, that is sort of how I best could explain my owngoing struggle and attempts. It's not enough to only smell the roses from afar I'd like to touch its delicate petals or even bringing them inside to have something beautiful too look and smell at but if there only was a way to escape its thorns...

Luckily G.O.A.L recently launched a forum about the dual citizenship...

© Taste of Kimchi, Elle

Related posts:

Immigrant

What Not To

Complete Fullfilment

4 comments:

  1. An F4 visa will serve you just as well as Korean citizenship, especially if you aren't considering moving there permanently.

    I think that many adoptees are adamant about the citizenship just for the principle of it. We feel like the Korean government owes it to us or something. I can sympathize with that belief.

    Anyway, the F4 has to be applied for within Korea as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got my f4 in the usa before i went to korea.. you have to contact a local korean consulate or embassy then give them all the documents they request.
    or you can just go to korea on a regular tourist visa and then apply for the f4 as well..I've heard its easier in korea but remember to have all your legal paperwork with you too! plus the kad organizations can help with applying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're allowed to be in Korea for 30 days or less with no visa at all. You should try to go on a trip there and see about applying then. I just applied for this one:

    http://1004calendar.com/event/2011adoptees/index.php

    Anyway, MMoon's advice is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info, but isn't that the principle with all Visas that you have to be in the country so to say?

    What I meant is that a lot of adoptees just want their Korean citizenship to prove a point that Korean adoptees deserve to be acknowledged by the Korean government. It's more for the symbolic meaning.

    ReplyDelete