Sunday 29 May 2011

Mother May

As today is Mother's Day in Sweden I thought I'd write about motherhood today.
In Sweden we're expected to give our parents gifts with smaller celebrations.
When you become a parent through adoption you're supposed to be one in the gang since you too now can be celebrated.

But maybe it's more to it than just that.. I can't be sure seeing that I only have one experience to compare with and that would be the memories from my childhood.

Once many years ago my brother and I was supposed to buy gifts for Mother's Day to mum. The thing is that my brother at that time was very penurious and well he didn't want to spend money on two gifts and two cards. He was adamant that we only bought one card and one gift, we ended up arguing outside in the shopping mall. I managed to convince him that we'd have to buy two cards one from us each. But then two cards and one gift didn't make sense so I was trying to persuade him that we'd have to buy a second gift... Then everything went from bad to worse, he begun to cry and I started getting glares and looks that said what have you done, why is your brother crying...
Dad was forced to inside since we hadn't gotten back from the shopping, I think my brother still was crying when I explained the situation. And once dad had explained to my brother we bought a second gift, two children usually means two gifts.
Mum got a necklace and movie that my brother picked out it was kids movie and one that he wanted to see. I believe it was Nutty Proffesor II...

Yesterday I realized that it's only been 14 days = 2 weeks since I contacted my birth family, so I suppose there's still hope... And I finally has a vaild and fully functional passport.

As expected I decided to bake, but I baked a strawberry cake from scratch , I will post a picture as soon as it is done.

© Taste of Kimchi, Elle

Related posts:

Broken Record

Father's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment