Monday 24 January 2011

Risky Move

I've unfortunately learned the hard way that mum and I aren't compatible and oftentimes can't get along. It's frustrating to talk to someone who only tries to understand without really trying or making efforts to begin to understand... She seems to demand to much of me without any obligations on her part...

Maybe there's a reason why I don't show emotions... could it be that mum isn't strong enough to handle my feelings in an acceptable way... !? Could be, maybe I simply don't care anymore. My mum and I are finished as far as I'm concerned... She's burned all bridges, demolished all hope, ignored every chance... But I suppose I'll play along until mum eventually confronts me, she's still oblivious...

In October of 2009 I applied for exchange studies overseas which to me felt like a longshot not knowing if I really would be accepted anywhere... I was already back then hesistant since I felt like I really would benefit more from studying Korean so my decision was to apply for exchange studies in Korea. But I wasn't able to apply through the university. But there are other options available for me especially considering that I'm a KAD and not an average Swedish Joe. Sometimes being a KAD can be a blessing.

Anyhow if I would have sticked to my intial plan I would currently be on exchange studies in Scandinavia, Iceland. But why Iceland !? Well, even if it wasn't my first choice it was my second best alternative where I actually was accepted as an exchange student. Before my scheduled reunion I felt really curious and was excited too maybe go on exchange studies to Iceland. But things changed after my reunion, Iceland didn't really seem that interesting. Not if you compare Korea and Iceland to each other, my knowledge of Icelandic wouldn't exactly overwrite or benefit my attempts to communicate with my birth family.

Generally, Koreans have a very limited knowledge of English and Icelandic as a Scandinavian language is closer to Norwegian than Swedish. So it wasn't really hard for me to turn down the offer of going to Iceland to study one semester. Instead I will be studying Korean in Sweden, I think that would look much better on a future resume and if I were to apply for emplyment in Korea Icelandic wouldn't really be an advantage to me. I'm not sure if it was a good move to turn my offer down, it was a bold move that I honestly don't regret but only time will tell if it was a smart move or not. It feels like the right thing to do, although some might say I'm stupid for having turned down an offer of exchange studies overseas.

Vertu sæll/ sæl Ísland  - 여보세요 한국 , Hello Korea


© Taste of Kimchi, Elle

Related posts:

Future Plans

Change Of Heart

 Supposed Future

No comments:

Post a Comment