Friday 28 January 2011

Not An Ending

I can't believe it, but sadly it seems that for adoptive parents the adoption seems to become less of an issue for some of the adoptive parents soon after the adoption process has been completed. All papers are signed, and most importantly the adoptee is now in the care of the adoptive parents.

This really annoys me, since it shouldn't be something so easily overlooked like a small bruse that only aches temporarily. For the adoptee, it will never be possible to escape the social stigma that comes with adoption. Of course the first few years is supposedly the easiest ones since the parents only has to deal with questions and pressure steaming from society and not yet from the adoptee. But in a few years questions will most likely arise and what are they to do then? Bury their heads in the sand and pretend its raining?

All children go through some kind of identity search and adoptees are no exception, and that is something that adoptive parents especially has to be prepared for. So, no an adoption process does not end it is a lifelong commitment similiar to a marriage and a parenthood since becoming a parent to someone else's child is a big responsibility.

My thesis is still haunting me and since my tutor havn't approved it I will not be presenting it tomorrow.. I suppose this would give me time to improve it even more and maybe even write a really good thesis... I'm going to tell what my thesis is about;.... international adoption in Korea, believe it or not and no that's all I'm gonna tell you, I still want my anonymity thank you very much.

I know there's at least three different ways to pronounce my Korean name and I have yet to decide which one to use, although I confess I don't know which way is the correct one... I sometimes alternates between the three...

© Taste of Kimchi, Elle

Related posts:

Rejection

Separation

Adoption Feel

Fullfilment

Adoption Portrayals

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, I think the adoption process gets harder the longer you're in it - especially because the kids are getting older and asking more questions and you're having to work harder to make sure that their needs are met as far as race, culture, connection with bio family, etc. But you're right that many people seem to think that adoption is a one-time event. Definitely not true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminder.

    Kim @ www.americanmamacita.com

    ReplyDelete