Monday 13 December 2010

Snow White

In pre school the whole class was supposed to preform Snow White and I remember that my classmates instantly started to talk about who should get to play Snow White. Someone did suggest that I should be selected as Snow White since I was the only girl with dark hair. But then someone else protested by stating the obvious; my skin wasn't white so I shouldn't be given the part as Snow White since my skin wasn't white as snow it it was olive. It just happened to be that there was another girl in class that did have skin as white as snow and everyone decided to choose her instead of me. The teacher asked me if that was allright, that someone else got to portray Snow White and to be honest I was relieved that I wasn't choosen. I decided to pick the part of a bunny instead and my mum made me the cutest little bunny suite you ever could imagine. It was a white fur like overall and a hood with big bunny ears. No one else in class had a suite that looked like mine, I was very proud of it it even had that little bunny tail.

Today we celebrate Lucia who originally is said to have come from Spain or Italy, girls dress up in white dresses with candles in their hair. They sing Christmas carols and come with ginger bread and saffron buns. Every town has a an election process where you can nominate your candidate. And one girl from each constituency is selected by votes into the national Lucia train. There are a total of 13 candidates which all have a chance to get to be Lucia. Usually the part is given to blonde girl even though Lucia supposedly wasn't blonde. A few years ago a boy entered the Lucia selection which upset the school. It would have been allright but as the usual Lucia nominees tends to favour blonde girls I don't believe we are quite there yet. If Sweden isn't ready for an immigrant or foreign Lucia then why should it be ready for a male Lucia?
I'm not talking about a Muslim Lucia but ethnic diversity.

Do you believe traditions should be kept as they always has or should traditions change according too society?

I proudly celebrate Swedish traditions like Midsummer, May 1st and all that, I was afterall raised in Sweden so I suppose you can't expect me to celebrate Asian holidays or traditions. Because to me that would make me feel totally misplaced, because I don't know any Asian holidays or no, I know of some them but I dont't know why you celebrate them. Let me celebrate my Swedish traditions with family and friends. (My family is Swedish and so are most of my friends). When in Rome do as the Romans do comes to mind...


© Taste of Kimchi, Elle

Related posts:

Chuseok

Birthday Party

Fathers Day

My Future

No comments:

Post a Comment