Wednesday 21 September 2011

Korean Adoptee In Korea

I know I'm not the only Korean adoptee in Korea.
But I know there's not many Korean adoptees that has been able to find their birth families...
It makes me feel humble and grateful, and I'll try make the most of this time continuing creating happy memories.

I'm back on a second reunion this time staying with birthfamily, despite not being fluent in Korean...

Despite the setbacks, subway encounters and langugage barriers I still havn't given up on my birth family... I think it's likely that I'll return more times in the future. At least now I know what to expect, and I could at least prepare myself mentally for that bite.

Now I know what an easy life I'm able to get trough, I've never had to live under the same circumstances as any of siblings or birth parents.

Oh, yeah I've finally been to KoRoot , more than once. It was different than I remember I had imagined it to be differently from what it was. One thing I really was surprised about what the fact that they offer free lunches daily (but only) if you're a Korean adoptee. It's like a miniature world where you only speak English or Korean...

Korea is still a very conservative country when it comes to how women should dress. And this is funny, when I was here last year with my adoptive parents I could get away with wearing most Western clothes, deep necklines, visible bra straps and sometimes even bra, really short skirts and dresses too. But this time things was to be different.

It started at the airport when Appa picked me up, then I was wearing gymnastic pants, supporting socks and some kind of top. The things this pants were sort of a bit short showing off (maybe a bit too much of the socks.) Appa pulled the pants down to cover the socks and then I had too walk around with the pants hanging from my knees...

A foreign tourist can get away with a lot that Koreans and not even Korean adoptees or Korean related people can. If you try to wear Western clothes and whatever... PEOPLE WILL STARE AT YOU !!!

So now I have to find some t-shirts with high neckline asap.

© Taste Of Kimchi, Elle

Related posts:

Taking Off

Foreign Tourist

2 comments:

  1. I give you a lot of credit for putting yourself out there and dealing with some uncomfortable situations! I love hearing about your trip and I'm really glad you're blogging about it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the late reply...
      Jenn,thanks for following me and I'm happy to share that part of my life.

      Delete