Monday 19 September 2011

Frustrated And Alone

Going to Korea by myself has at times been frustrating, and I've felt annoyed and irritated. And it's different than when I was here about a year ago with my mum and dad. This time I'm on my own not tied down by assumptions but instead supposed to be self sufficent and independent. My Korean has actually also reached a tolerable level by know, but there's still things I miss. Things I might never be able to recover.

I'm not gonna lie and yes I know that adoptees might consider me spoiled if I tell you that I've been staying with my birth family ever since arriving. I treasure it I do, really, I do, but the culture shock was far greater than I ever imagined. And I'm not fluent in Korean, only know a few phrases here and there.

And the language barrier became very apparent almost obvious the few days I stayed with Omma and Appa. Because I don't know enough Korean and also since my birth parents speak with a local dialect it was very difficult indeeed, almost impossible to understand.

Once it was time to eat I didn't know if one them would be back so I didn't clean of the table or stash awy the food. Also, when omma asked if I was full I or didn't like the food I must have responed then the opposite of what I meant. I ended up getting dishes that I didn't ask for and was forced to force myself to at least try it. Even though I was full.

© Taste Of Kimchi, Elle

Related posts:

Lonely In Seoul

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I have been reading your entries from Korea and I truly think you are brave for taking on this experience alone. I was too scared to travel by myself, let alone possibly meet with birth family. It saddens me in a way to know how much culture shock us adoptees could face in meeting our own blood relations, but I guess it's inevitable. Hoping that you have better days ahead of you during your stay there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Soo. Sorry about the late reply though. It did take me 10 years to finally decide to meet them. I do feel much better now though.

    ReplyDelete