Saturday 24 September 2011

Underneath It All

I'm not sure but maybe adoptees are considered more or less egocentric maybe even narcissistic... (and yes I'm also talking about myself).

Fact 1: I were adopted overseas (from Korea). Which means I'm an adult adoptee KAD even.
Fact 2: Both my Omma and Appa are ethnic Koreans.
Fact 3: They are still married.
Fact 4: I'm not their only child but supposedly the only one that was relinquised for adoption.
Fact 5: I'm their youngest daughter but not their youngest child.

Can we really calll ourselves a family ? Do you tell me things that's going on in the family? Do you love me? Are you glad I found you ? Do you think of me as your daughter and sister? Was I born in the evening or in the night ?

Before I leave I'm determined to also do a few typical tourist activities like going on one of those DMZ tours and also visiting the Seoul Tower and Teddybear Museum...  Although I'm not sure where to sign up for a DMZ tour since I'm not staying at a hotel...

I guess I'll have to do some investigation...

Despite my somewhat rude awekening I suppose what I experienced in the Seoul subway isn't something that happens everyday. And now I start appreciate the country of my birth place. Koreans also tend to dress up when they're out and then totally dress down whie at home relaxing. They usualy where something like a homewear. Totally different from any other place I've ever been to and so far I've never been to China or Japan. The Beijing airport doesn't count.

I had one place I just needed to go to when I came here and that was Baskin Robbins (we don't have that chain in Sweden) their icecream is really something. But one thing that's sort of annoying is that you can't get four flavours of ice cream in the same order unless you're two people (couple) otherwise you only get two flavours... What's with that ... !? yes, Koreans tend to be really focused on doing thing in groups and couple items and events really is big here. I don't know why...

If you want to visit a Starbucks in Sweden you'll have to to Stockholm and Arlanda airport because there's the only place you'll find it (so far)... You can watch American shows like CSI, Criminal Minds, Hells Kitchen and the really big hit movies... And there's actually an entire channel that's only for American militaries in Korea ( I forgot the name of it though)...

© Taste Of Kimchi, Elle

Related posts:

Culture Clash

No comments:

Post a Comment