Saturday 12 February 2011

What I'll Never Be

I'll never be an ordinary woman, or that average Joe. Being adopted isn't normal and yet so many has been adopted overseas like I. Maybe I wouldn't feel so strongly about this if it wasn't for the fact that I do feel like in the equation of adoption there's one component that generally is overlooked and ignored. And that would be the birthparents, why do adoptive parents seem to believe that once you have your child safe in your arms then adoption isn't really that big of a deal !?

Adoption is common, but just because something is common it too me at least, doesn't neccessarilly mean that is normal. To tell me what my life would have been like if I hadn't been adopted is really uncalled for since it is nothing else but pure speculations. There's no room for that, generalizations or prejudices on this blog.

If my birth family would have consisted of either a or b I might have been more easilly assimilated into the Swedish culture. Of course I suppose I was while I was growing up but now I've started to walk along a different cold, dark and lonely road.

Why would it be so difficult for me to try to learn more about Korea while not forgetting my Swedish upringing...

I whish I didn't even have to write this post but I still chose to...

Adoptive families will never become an average Joe family despite the fact that many families consists of adoptees... Adoptive parents don't get their children from bird nests, adoptees already have a known history one that you should try to remember but not dwell on too much while the child is really young. But then again children are more mature than one says so you'll be the judge of that.


© Taste of Kimchi, Elle

Related posts:

Synonyms

Challenge

Immigrant

Glossary

Adoption

No comments:

Post a Comment