Sunday 13 February 2011

Made In Korea

Too me Koreans are a very nice people until some extent, of course not being able to understand what some of them might say behind my back is a blessing sometimes. Actually people have never assumed that I'm from North Korea since I don't have that stamp made in Korea tattooed on my forehead.

I just look like an Asian, could be Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, you name it that is of course annoying at times but actually also a relief occassionally. But I'm proud to be Korean so I don't know what I could try to change to make people more aware of my real ethnic heritage.Me not knowing Korean isn't that strange if you believe I'm Indian, Pakistani or even Afghani. But once you understand that I'm Korean that's when it get's weird. Because I should know Korean since I'm Korean by birth but not by upbringing.

Then my knowledge of a foreign language regardless of my Asian origin will always be strange to other Asians. And my ability to speak Swedish fluently can only mean one thing.

I'm an adoptee or KAD. I just wish people wouldn't be so upthight, that instead of just assuming or secondguessing my supposed heritage I whish they , other Asian people could be brave enough to actually ask me !?

Why is it that most Swedes as well other foreigners and immigrants introduces themselves to me by using 20 really-personal-questions-because-it's-important-for-me-to-know-where-you're-from-you're parents don't look-Swedish... kind of questions. Those questions really annoys me but if it is the right person who ask them believe me, than I will actually do my best to answer them.

I have delibrately chosen to exclude fellow Swedish Korean adoptees, mainly because they don't blog in English ... At least that's my excuse... This way it also fells like I'm secure and safe able to write about things I imagine other Korean adoptees might dwell upon and this way I believe it's little chance other KADs in Sweden will get knowledge not only of this blog but also of my opinions...

The Seollal celebrations was funny, although my gut feeling said otherwise I soon got confrimation on my suspicions, and I now have the answer to something I've been wondering about for quite some time.

© Taste of Kimchi, Elle

Related posts:

Separation

Korean Language

Unpatriotic Swede

No comments:

Post a Comment