Monday 21 February 2011

Korean Collectivism

Korea is according to me strongly influenced and based on collectivism and this could not be more true for Korea. Basically everyone you meet are introduced to you by someone else, everyone's a part of at least one network. Networking is very common and a big deal in Korea but it is so common that it isn't reflected on.

One of my sisters is still unmarried and well, one of my family members wanted me too ask my dad for help to meet a potential European/Swedish husband. Based on this I have too say that I quickly was considered a part of my Korean family's small network too such an extent that even my adoptive parents were included in this network. My inital reaction was one of surprise, now I realize that I should be honoured and feel humble to be included in family matters like that.

I'm their sister afterall, there's no reason and no way to ignore, hide or escape from that.

© Taste of Kimchi, Elle

Related posts:

Koreans

My Future

Made In Korea

No comments:

Post a Comment