Monday 28 November 2011

Sweden or Korea

Hanguk saram or Sweden saram... I'm not sure, I guess I'm somewhere inbetween. I wish there was a way for me to honour my birth culture while still maintaining the culture where I've grown up... I'm not sure exactly how I will accomplish that , I will try believe me I will.

Up until recently I was fooled to believe that my birth parents wanted me to settle down with a nice Korean man. Maybe it's a nice thought more than anything, a part of me wishes that I could honour my culture that way but I realize that there might be so many things I would have to foresake and for what .... The truth is that I never would allow any man to treat me as they would see fit, I certainly wouldn't obey my husband if I didn't like what he decided for me. I would make my own decisions, and I would never stay married if my husband obused me or started hitting me. If I would have to get a divorce to get happy I would not hesitate.

Although I like the idea of marriage and eternal love, these days not many marriages lasts that long. If I ever would consider marriage I would only like to get married once and then stay married. But I could just as well imagine myself living in a consensual union or common law marriage with children. In Sweden many people live like this.

Recently I asked my Swedish mum and dad weither or not they thought my mother and father would like me to settle down with a Korean man. But my parents ensured me that, they seemed to not be concerned with that any longer they might have but now what seems to matter is my happiness.
Most parents wants nothing else then to see their children happy. I wonder if that goes for my birth parents as well. Do I have to honour Korean traditions or is my happiness more important ?


© Taste of Kimchi, Elle

Related posts:
10 Years

Orphan Girl

Rose Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment