Friday 18 November 2011

Relative Deprivation

Ok, so yes I've studied Peace and Development at university level... but this doesn't mean that my interests are limited (to Peace and conflicts, Korea and adoption.) No far from it, I have many other interests of course.

But allright, here goes would it be possible to put the Relative Deprivation in relation to adoption ? Well, yes I think it's duable but also since adoptions usually takes place at time when the children are relatively young I guess more than assume that it's near to impossible to change your own situation (it might not be impossible but complicated and hard).

Deprivation is a way to measure somebody's happiness or level of content in relation to somebody that has something that the deprived want like fulfillment of a basic need or access to it.


http://www.change.org/petitions/citizenship-for-all-us-intercountry-adoptees#

But the thing with being adopted that I've found myself is that you can't change something that happened before you were born or a very young child (there are exceptional cases were adoptions have been dissolved but that's usually decided by the adoptive parents citizenship) it's very time consuming and hard to change something that's been around for 60 years that people by now are used too and that over time has turned into something of a system in this case the adoption system.

In case you're wondering my adoptive parents who I still prefer to call mum and dad, I know they love me and my brother more than anything. I think they would walk over fire if it could help me or my brother, they have supported me throughout my life, it was them not me that suggested I'd go to Korea and meet my birth family last year. They are still not happy about some of my choices that I've made but thats allright. Yet my previous Korea trip did really put things into perspective and my relationship with my Mamma and Pappa has improved tremdously and we can know communicate more honestly with each other.

The Name Saga still continues on... I'll write about it soon (it deserves it's own entry although it's somewhat linked).

 Also I'm Swedish which ABBA also are and ABBA songs happen to make me smile and feel good, especially Mamma Mia the Musical.

© Taste of Kimchi, Elle

Related posts:
Seoul News

Stalemates

Not Sad

No comments:

Post a Comment