Wednesday 13 April 2011

Asian values

Yes mum's cat is still missing, however we may know where he's hiding...

The other day I came across a documentary about Thai mailorder brides in it, besides portraying a harsh reality and inequility I also realized were the general view of Western men's desire for an Asian bride comes from.

In Korea especially the future livelihood and assurance of future generations lies on the male which would be the son. When the parents considers retirement they don't move into a pensioner's house instead they move in with the son or simply give their residence to him. He's expected to now care for his elderly parents and he's supposedly also the head of not only the household but the entire family.

While apparenty, the survival of the family in Thailand rests on the women and explicitly on the youngest daughter's shoulders she's the one that is responsible for providing for the family. But in a country were the general income could be as low as $ 2 it's no wonder that young women are more or lessed forced into becoming or considering becoming Thai mail order brides or possibly being pushed into prostitution.

Apparently Thai women especially are obident, nice and doesn't object or leave their husbands if the marriage or relationship is bad they rather stay then leave. Maybe it could have something to do with them being dependent of their husband's economical and financial stability as they are expected to provide for their Thai families...

But yes things changes everywhere, every day there's an occassion for someone...

Of course it's not only Thai mailorder brides that are popular it's actually all Asian women. Of course Korea is highly patriarchial to yet a biracial marriage seems less common between a Korean woman and Western man altough I think that is increasing. Korean men are generally not raised to be in equal relationships and the Korean woman is raised to stay at home, take care of the household and future children. Because in Korea the survival of the next generation means almost everything.

I realized that my defintion of myself or more so my identity is really fragile, obscure and undefined. Just as fragile as a cat's affection I suppose. They're independent creatures, maybe that's why I like cats so much.

Instead of my usual routines ; (the baking I mean) , I'll have surrendered into a project of more urgent status. O.B.C.H (Operation Bring Cat Home). If you're lucky I might publish an entry that's baking related at my other blog very sooon... and if I don't try to be patient.

© Taste of Kimchi, Elle

Related posts:

What Not

Stereotypes

Korean Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment