Sunday 19 September 2010

My Personal Experience

My adoptive parents and I have a loving but complicated relationship, I wasn't able to figure out the cause of it but now I think I finally have. First of all, my adoptive parents which I call mum and dad, was unable to have their own biological children thus they decided to choose inter country adoption... So far everything is good.

Here come's the tricky part which I will try my best portray in a fair way; my mum and dad they actually represent that annoying misconsumption about inter country adoption. I know this for a fact because my mum especially has talked to me and during some of our talks and discussions she has said exactly what an adoptive parent shouldn't say, no matter what the circumstances... At least not at loud and especially not to her adoptive children...  Your life would have been harder. What!!?? How could my mum even say such a thing!!?? Does she; my adoptive mum have that much knowledge of Korean culture and life first of all. Second, how could she know for sure how my life would have been if I wasn't adopted ...

 My adoptive parents truly believe they have done a good deed when they adopted me over 20 years ago, as far as they're concerned they have preformed a good deed. They've saved me from a harsh faith and hard life.. This is what they truly believe....

And I even used to believe this was true, unfortunately, but since I've was very young I've always known about my other family. My first family; my birth parents;  eomoni and aboiji, as well as my older siblings. Knowing that I had parents that were married to each other and who had more children besides me I've spent a lot of time thinking of them....

But as I grew older my mum and dad told me that my birth parents might not be alive...

Knowing of my birth family, and the fact that I was seperated from them and robbed of not only my real family but also my culture and language I refuse to accept the notion and belief of me being saved by my adoptive parents. The reason for this is simply, because I had to loose everything, and I mean everything I had; to gain a new bright future in another culture, society and state with strangers for parents.

I lost the two most important people in a young girl's life, because of adoption, I've also lost the bound between my older siblings, never been able to experience real sibling love. Not been able to talk about boys with my sister's, not been able to barrow clothes from them or quarelled with them over some nonsense thing. These are all the things I've lost so no I will not go around believing or conforming what you want me to say;

I will never confirm that I was saved and gained a better life and brighter future because I know what I have lost, some of the things I've lost I could easily regain others I might never be able to recieve or experience....

♥쳐금은 아녕. Bye for now.♥

© Taste of Kimchi, Elle


Related posts:

Please Read

Social Discrimination of Adoptees

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, thank you for your writing! From one adoptee to another. I think it's so important to acknowledge our loss to biological ties and culture. Even if we reunite with birth family or educate ourselves on Korean culture, we're still compensating for a loss that cannot be fully regained. I look forward to reading more from you and especially from the perspective of being raised in Sweden. There are a lot of KADs in the US and I'm always curious to connect with others around the globe.

    ReplyDelete