Sunday 19 September 2010

Consequences Of The General Election

As an international adoptee I've for sure experienced my shares of problems relating to my ethnicity and appearance not being that of a stereotype Swede. But let me just, point out that Sweden is a multicultural society with many different ethnicities. Also coming from a smaller suburbian town where the xenophobic Political Parties was represented I became aware of this concern very early in my life.

This tendencies seemed to grow even stronger as the years went on and in the last election in 2006, one xenophobic political party was able to gain representation in the muncipal representation in a few muncipalities all over the country. The results from the last election meant that we in Sweden experienced a political party shift from the left wing Social Democratic Party which had held a majority government ever since 1989, to the right wing Moderate Party which gained majority votes mainly because of a political Alliance with the collaboration between the Moderate Party, The Centre Party, The Liberal People's Party and the Christian Democrats.

This year, the 19th September of 2010, as we I'm writing this post the election party watch is ongoing as the votes is in the process of being counted. This year the threat, at least as media portrays it is that the xenophobic party is going to get enough majority votes to be represented in the Swedish government. If you're interested to know if I voted and what I voted for let's just say I didn't vote for the xenophobic Party or any political party within the Alliance.

The likelihood of this election is that the Alliance or more particularly, the Moderate Party will not be able to gain enough majority votes to form a majority government. Instead expert predictions and the voting tendencies seems to aim for a minority government between the left wing parties such as the Swedish Social Democratic Party, Left Party and the Green Party.

The only threat to not only the election but also the democratic foundation to Swedish politics and society is that the xenophic party gains enough percentages to get representation in the government. If this happen they would lobby for a xenophic Sweden and being an intertional adoptee, as I am I'm a threat to the Swedish foundation and beliefs as far as the xenophic party is concerned. I represent the multicultural immigration to Sweden that is the very thing that the xenophic Sweden Democrats dislikes and wants significantly to reduce.

Also prior the election the Swedish Democrats not only fired their Party leader but also cancelled his membership when it gained knowledge of his grown Indian adopted daughter...

 I think that says it all about what that party represents, and I'm sorry if this small information about an xenophobic party is uppsetting for some. The Party leaders has stated that as long as they are able to gain support for their three biggest political issues they will not cause any political problems.  If they gain enough votes for reprenstation in the government...
Let me just reasure everyone who might be reading, that I don't support their opinions or belief because to me that would be like resenting myself...

At the same time the Green Party especially has stated that they are prepared to request a reelection if the xenophobic party gains representation in the goverment...

But I wonder if a re- eclection really would be that wise, wouldn't it turn out to be to the Sweden Democrats advantage possibly and likely giving it even more percentages and parliamentary seats...
Like in any elections there are a few percentages of voters who decides to don't vote or simply don't care enough, so is the threat of the Sweden Democrats a pr - stunt to influence more voters to participate in the voting process ? Or is it as a big a threat that media claims?

According to statitistics the Sweden Democrats supporters, most likely to vote for them are; men, young people, unemployed and members of the Swedish Trade Union... A likely scenaro is that Sweden will have a minority government where the Sweden Democrats is given the final voice, in earlier governments the Green Party has had the last voice.... If the left wing , right wing parties and the Green Party isn't open to create an alliance then it's like the Sweden Democrats might be given an ideal role.

Tomorrow I will wake up to more xenophobic Sweden compared to yesterday and I only have one thought in mind. As many of you know Korean adoptees will be accepted for application of reclaiming their Korean nationality and I have had thoughts of doing this, and I might still consider this... But now when Sweden is likely to become more xenophobic I wonder what would happen if I not only applied for it bot also was granted joint nationality; Swedish and Korean. Would I no longer be able to access the rights of Swedish ciztizens? Would my home country no longer be Sweden, would I be forced to move to Korea?...
Maybe, maybe not.. only time will tell...

I'm sorry, but I'm not so concerned with who Sweden's next Prime Minister will be.. but I know I should... Apparently as expected the Alliance and the Red Green movement is open to a cross political barriers alliance which would mean that Sweden Democrats might not gain so much to say after all... so maybe there will be not be so many permanent and lasting changes that would forever transform Sweden and make it more hostile towards immigrants and most Swedish citizens... But the xenophobic party will represent Sweden in the Parliament starting from the 22 of September as well as the Swedish government unfortunately...

As no party was fortunate enough to gain enough percentages to became a majority government it is up to the Swedish Speaker to announce the new Swedish Prime Minister who will start reign on the 8th of October later this year... And it isn't sue that the Swedish Prime Minister will be a Moderate Party leader which means Mr Reinfeldt might be forced to step down...´

And as of right now it looks the Sweden Democrats will be representing in the government but what many seemed to have forget is that the election isn't completed until Swedes residing overseas has had their votes sorted and the same goes for the pre votes for Tuseday and Wednesday they still need to counted as well.... The Moderate Party needs only 3 more mandats to be able to create a majority government...

♥쳐금은안녕.Bye for now.♥

© Taste of Kimchi, Elle


Related posts:

New Era In Swedish Politics

1 comment:

  1. Hi! This Kyungmee or Amey:) Thanks for leaving me your message..I will add your site to mine and if you like you can likewise! I read over your new blog here and had a chance to catch up a little on your experiences. Unlike your situation, I was adopted by my eldest sister when I was around 7 or older Korean Age after my parents had already passed away. If you are interested..most of my early exp0ereinces pre-adoption and post adoption are found in my ealier posts from July & August of 2009.I look forward to getting to know each other and am glad to meet another Adoptee!

    ReplyDelete