Sunday 8 April 2012

I'm A Threat

I guess noboy would think twice about my future move to Korea, but you see I'm not just a European or Swedish gal. No fact, is I'm an adoptee from Korea... Why on earth would someone like even consider moving back to country that abadoned and basically disowned me, right ? I propaply could give a million of different answer to that one, but I suppose my heritage is stronger then my assimilation into the Swedish culture then anything else. And yes, I do think in numbers my first family outnumbers my Swedish family by far! That's nothing but the cold hard truth, and also you're accepted when you're a small child until 10 or so as I recall it one , especially an Asian adopted girl reaches puberty it's not longer clear for society that you're an adoptee, you could be just one of those other Asian girls...

And generally an unformed or uneducated Swede naturally seems to assume that most Asian ladies in Sweden are Thai women and well, you all know what that means... Nowadays, Sweden have more immigrants from outside Europe to and as in most parts of Europe the immigration laws have been scrutinized and then made stricter.

They say Korea is a homogen society, which used to be true but it's getting more common for Koreans to marry outiside their own ethnicity, to study abroad, learn English and much more. Even if I was prepared for the culture shock it felt way better to walk around at night in Seoul compared to a night out in Sweden. Could be because Korea always will be my birth country, or it could be that Korea is way safer than Sweden. Or maybe it has something to do with my first family, but even so I don't think society never intended for or was prepared for adoptees wanting to return to a country that previously disowned them.

© Taste of Kimchi, Elle

Related posts:


Vizualizing

Makes Sense

Korean Vocabulary

No comments:

Post a Comment