Tuesday 27 September 2011

My Journey

It certainly has had had it's ups and downs, but overall it's been a good experience mostly filled with happy memories. And I have accomplished one of my goals: I have gotten closer to my birth family. Maybe it's because my adoptive parents isn't with me this time.

I'm not sure but it seems I have a very different approch towards my adoption, so far the fellow KADs I've met I have found that I have very little or nothing in common with... It's not surprising considering there are so many of us out there, but I most confess it's been a little disappointing. But I didn't come to Korea mingle with fellow Korean adoptees I came for Chuseok and to continue establising some kind of foundation in my relationship with my birth family. At least that's what I had in mind, when I planned the trip.

Maybe one of the benefits for having established contact with your birth family (is that you supposedly get told about your family's medical history.) I'm just presuming that it is a fact more than anything. Turns out that the big operation my sister's have had might run in the family. They told me to get to hospital in Sweden to check that up... I'm freaking out a bit right now, just because of that but just because at least two or maybe three of my sisters have had to have that big operation doesn't necessarilly mean that I'll have to get the operation done...

I've lived at my sister's place in Seoul (I had to sort of convince them since I didn't want to go back to Cheonan and watch more TV... There's nothing wrong with watching TV , but spending an entire month watching only Korean TV wasn't what I had planned or imagined I would do...) And there's also nothing wrong with Cheonan...

Ok, so I've lived at my sister's place, right, yes most of the time in the big flat sharing it with three of my sisters and a few days at my older sister's place with her two children in a bigger and nicer flat. But the thing is I never know when or who I'll be staying at, my sister's can tell me that I'm supposed to sleep at another sister's place the very same day... Like yesterday, they wanted me to go to oldest sister. But I said i didn't want to so I guess I'm going tonight...

My sister's tend to spend Saturdays togheter having lunch, and they'll tell me that I'm having lunch with them in the morning of the same day although I could have made other plans they seem to think that'll cancel all my plans to go for luch with them...

A few days ago I had planned to meet my friend who I met back in Sweden while I still attended university. That person was an exchange student on exchange studies at my university (at the time). So when I had confirmed my second travel we planned to meet up. We did reschedule so that I would have time to be with my sisters but I never made it there, to them because they changed location every time I finally arrived and I couldn't find my way at times... Crazy, right!? Yes, and supposedly not really Korean but I guess that's my family...

Turns out I'm not going to stay with my older sister since she apparently has some sort obligation to visit the hospital (supposedly daily)...

© Taste Of Kimchi, Elle

Related posts:

Culture Clash

No comments:

Post a Comment